bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Friday, May 25, 2012

School's Out!! But the Fun Had Already Begun

So what would you do if you came home from a long day's work and your house is filled with teenagers exuberant that their last exam was over, all them ravenous because they had been playing hard for last six hours in the hot Tennessee sun,  and the last thing you've thought about all day is what you would have for dinner?


Well, the first thing you do is sigh with relief that this group of great kids doesn't even notice that the floors haven't been mopped in a while and that there were dishes that hadn't been washed and at least 3 days of unwashed laundry piled up. Then you say, "Yes, I'd be ever so happy for you to use my brand new Le Creuset braiser to cook enough food to feed the hungry horde - as long as you cook." (this braiser is teenager-proof). Then I just sit back with my laptop, pretend to be distracted typing, and soak in the sounds of youthful exuberance.

And while these 17-19 year olds innocently perceive me as the quiet, nerdy mom who plugs away on the computer writing my latest international espionage bodice-ripping plant mystery historical novel, they have no idea of the crazy fun time I had last week-end on my Fling.
So let me introduce you to a few of MY garden blogger friends from last week and give you chance to check out the their blogs. Cause I really only have a few minutes before I need to go start pulling out dessert.

Helen Battersby and Cindy (My Corner of Katy)

Cindy (My Corner of Katy), Jean (Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog), Gloria (The Garden Bench)

My fun roommate for the Fling - Tink (as in -erbell) tee-hee

Robin and I really can't tell who that is under that big hat but I'm sure we ended up best of friends.

Jean and Cindy on the ROOF of Wamboldtopia

We weren't friends but this black snake seemed to not mind all of us wondering around him at the North Carolina Arboretum

Gloria with her great finds at BB Barnes Nursery

MaryAnn (Gardens of the Wild Wild West) - a lady who stands out in the garden world.

Peter and Jasmine Gentling

Jim (Art of Gardening) and Melissa (Houston Garden Girl)

Christopher (Outside Clyde)

Our bus driver. He may look like an Appalachian moonshiner but he knew more fun facts about this neck of the woods than  anyone we heard.

Gloria, Jean, Helen, Barbara (Mr. McGregor's Daughter)

Jean, Helen (Garden With Confidence), the other Cindy (I can't find your blog - somebody help me here)

Annaliese (Cobrahead) and Andrea (Growwhereyouareplanted)

Carolyn (Sweet Home and Garden Carolina)  and Pam (Diggin')

Carol (May Dreams Gardens) and friends

Pam, Sarah (the other half of Toronto Gardens), Sarah's son, Diana (Sharing Nature's Garden)



Ol' Grumpy himself (The Grumpy Gardener)

Helen, Barbara, and the other Cyndy

And this is not Nan Chase (Eat Your Yard), but it is in her garden - which was, by the way, an inspiration.

9 Comments:

At May 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Nice to have some names with some faces, the blogger in the big blue hat is Tina Ramsey, In the Garden, and I am not sure what blog Cindy does as I just met her.
fun pictures! Enjoy summer vacation with the kids, they grow up all too fast.

 
At May 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Helen said...

Great pictures, Barbara -- perhaps I can get copies of a few. It was so lovely to commune with you in Asheville. And I'm loving your book so far.

 
At May 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good times with great friends! it was so good to reconnect with you over gardens and great food... hope your new le crusset turned out the first of many tasty meals!

 
At June 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Aging Ophelia said...

I don't know, Barbara-- teenagers & dirty dishes, that's what I call a natural pairing. Great pics, liking your style very much.

Peace, Mari

 
At June 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM , Blogger fairy bride said...

have a good time !

 
At June 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM , Blogger (@) said...

I enjoyed watching all the gardeners having fun. The pictures of so many beautiful spaces are an inspiration to me.

 
At June 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Skeeter said...

Good Job connecting faces and Blogs! Yes, under that big blue hat is Tina my partner in crime at "In the Garden". What a wonderful first Fling for she and I. Surely one of more to come...

 
At June 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM , Blogger CommonWeeder said...

this is a wonderful post - and I appreciate all the links. I can't wait to read the book (on order) and write about it.

 
At June 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Victoria Summerley said...

Oh, great pictures Barbara! I love the one of you all in the hats. I wish I'd been able to come *sob*. But hopefully I'll see you in San Fran.
BTW, completely relate to the "coming home to starving teenagers" scenario. I'm afraid i take the easy way out - and order pizza! Love, Victoria xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home