bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 344 - Parenting Lessons From Plants



Plants at my house don't get pampered. In fact, these planters - picture taken today - were sadly neglected for several weeks as I traveled from plant nerd activities to daughter duties to mom responsibilities all over the southeast. I returned from all my travels last week to find plants that endured heat drought conditions - wilty planters looking way beyond recuperation. But the day after my return, we had 2 full days of slow steady rain.
Do these plants look unloved to you now?
On the other hand, I have several areas where I've had serious over-watering issues due to irrigation problems or over-eager watering personnel. These plants that had too much of a good thing have suffered the worst this summer, most are spindly and weak or bearing few flowers.
Both areas where these plants are growing, the plants are admired, valued, and appreciated. But plant care, like parenting, is a balance of giving and of letting growth occur from roots reaching deep to find what is needed.
Sometimes I need to work in my garden to remember that letting my children feel a little stress along the way is ok. Yes, I'd much rather they have everything - and more - that they need. But I know that for them to learn to reach deep, to reach beyond just what I can provide for them, the stronger they become. And the easier they recover from drought seasons of life around them.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Mignon said...

Fabulous analogy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home